top of page

DOE: Plug-in Vehicles Consumed Nearly Two Terawatt-hours of Electricity in 2017

According to the Department of Energy, plug-in vehicles consumed nearly two terra-watt hours of electricity in 2017:

The amount of electricity consumed by plug-in electric vehicles (PEV) has increased nearly 100 times from 0.02 terawatt-hours in 2011 to 1.94 terawatt-hours in 2017. The share of electricity consumption from all-electric (BEV) increased compared to the electricity consumption from plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV). In 2017, BEVs accounted for about 57% of all PEV electricity consumption while PHEVs accounted for the remaining 43%.


bottom of page